Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The present is a present

As many of you reading this know, I am a planner. I'm one of those annoying people that have to-do lists and gets excitement out of crossing each one off. So, with that said, I don't want to sound like a hypocrite saying this next statement...but...

It's important to live in the moment. Now, let me explain.

Lately I've noticed that I'm always looking forward to something or wishing I was somewhere else. Now, don't get me wrong having things to look forward to is great and exciting, but don't forget about the present moment.

For example, when Monday morning rolls around I usually find myself hitting the snooze button and thinking about how the weekend went way too fast. When really...I should be breathing in the morning air, noticing the sun peaking through the curtains, and embracing the moment I am given at that exact instant. It may sound cliche, but I am starting to realize that if more of us did this, we would be happier and more joyful people.

Another example, Winter. Yes, it has been a cold one and the snow that was once pretty, is beginning to over stay its welcome, but it is what it is, and if you embrace it, it becomes beautiful. If it wasn't for these cold days, some people may not have had extra time to stay inside and be with their family. If it wasn't for these snowy days, we wouldn't be able to catch snow flakes on our tongues and build snowmen with friends. If it wasn't for winter, we wouldn't appreciate the summer warmth, but let's not talk about summer yet because we're embracing this moment, right? :)

I'm not saying planning is bad, and for crazy people like me, it keeps us sane. I just notice that with plans, most of the time comes expectations & that's the part that catches most of us up.

I've recently been quite interested in the Buddhism philosophy and how they practice living in the moment and embracing what they have right now, not what they had in the past, or what they hope to have in the future. Here is a quote that kind of explains the concept well:

“Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.”

Last week, while I was in church, I realized that I was thinking about all of the things I had to do the up coming week and found my heart raising and anxiety increasing. The funny thing was, once I caught myself, I realized I was obsessing over and completely creating outcomes of that week (mostly negative). Then, I remembered a few things I had been learning about focusing on the present moment and that was to concentrate on my breathing, concentrate on the present experiences (in this case, the song we were singing), or even the smell of the candles burning. 

The truth is, reality only exists right now. So, why dwell on the past, it's already behind you. (Right, Simba?) and why obsess about the future...Like that test you need to pass, that husband you wishfully hope for, and that job you are working towards. They will all happen, on their own time, in their own way. Worrying and planning for it is just going to give you wrinkles and unrealistic expectations.

Like many of you, I'm at that age where the future is quite unknown and the decisions I make will greatly impact what happens, but instead of constantly thinking about where I will find a job, what my house will look like, or what my children's names will be (sorry Pinterest)...I'm going to do my best to concentrate on these exciting days, the ones happening right now, the ones I will never get back-- the friendly feeling of living with 5 other girls, how light my purse is after paying tuition, and the "I'm an adult, but not completely on my own" moments. 


So, when most of you read this it will be Thursday. The day that is so close to the weekend, yet feels so far. Embrace the day! Try not to wish for the weekend, instead, focus on your breath while noticing the noises you hear, the laughter you share, and the little blessings each moment brings.

What are my plans for the weekend? I plan to live in the moment. 







No comments:

Post a Comment